Thursday, March
16, 2017
Antigua, BWI
Well, Chuck woke
me at 6:30 to tell me he had found an excursion that I would really like –
Stingray City! We were lucky enough to get on the trip, thanks to Chuck’s
connection with the Shore Excursion crew. It was really great – took us to a
part of the island that neither of us had visited before – off the beaten track
of the yachting set. I had been to Stingray City before, in the Cayman Islands
and this one was a bit different, but really good. The major difference was
that Grand Cayman had a LOT more area and we were able to play with the
stingrays more. Today, we were lined up for pix (see above) then cut loose to
snorkel on the limited coral reef – but there were FISH to see! So I finally
got my coral reef and brilliant marine life!
Back to the ship
to change into dry clothes, then back into town for lunch and shopping. And to
think, I could have slept my morning away!!
A good lunch at
Hemingway’s. Funny that there wasn’t a single photo of old Ernie anywhere to be
found. Lots of photos of Bob Marley and his kin. I asked the server if she
thought Chuck looked like Ernest Hemingway & I don’t think she knew who he
was!
Off to St Kitts
– our last stop on this absolutely wonderful adventure!
Friday, March
17, 2017
Bassaterre, St
Kitts
I’ve been looking
forward to this morning’s excursion since we first signed up for it – Swimming with
Dolphins! Our large group was divided
into smaller groups of ten and taken to rather large pools with two dolphins
and their “ocean mammal experts”. Each group also had their own personal
photographer recording the fun! We each had a turn at giving commands and enjoying
the results. Among the activities were, cradleing, kissing, riding her
flippers, being pushed by 2 dolphins at my feet while holding onto a swim board
(I wasn’t totally successful with this one as those dolphins put a LOT of
pressure on my very tender feet and not quite healed femur fracture) SO MUCH
FUN!!!
After we were
finished there (showering and shopping), Chuck and I left the organized tour
and took a private tour around the island with a primary stop at the Carabelle
Batik shop. It was interesting watching them making the batik but there was not
a lot of original work going on and much of the product they offered was
tie-died vs. batik. I’m not a huge fan of tie-die, especially those with 60s
& 70s era psychedelic colors and Rastafarian colors. The shop was a bit
like a Vera Bradley store – many different products all alike except for the
different patterns. I wanted to get another sarong (got a great one in
Martinique) but I wanted original batik and the ones they had on display were
too short for my comfort. The sales person helping me said that length was all
they had. As we were leaving, we saw some large pieces drying on clotheslines. A
lot of the pieces were tie-died and the ones that were batik were the wrong
colors (and only four patterns). On asking, we found out that these pieces were
considered “fabric lengths” and sold in 2, 2.5 and 3 yard lengths. I finally
found a pattern and color that I like!
After a rum
punch, we were off to see the rest of the island. This was a re-visit for Chuck
from about 20 years ago while he was working for his California clients. He was
amazed at how much everything had changed since his last visit!
Back to the ship
early afternoon and we set sail for Ft Lauderdale around 5pm. We have some
adventures planned for tomorrow, but mostly need to think about packing up!

No comments:
Post a Comment